I attended a talk yesterday that shared best-practices from managing two large projects that suffered from competing priorities:
- prioritize, prioritize, prioritize <– reminds me of 4DX
- put goals, tasks, vocabulary, agreements, engineering guidance, etc in writing to clarify communication
- use pilot programs to clarify requirements
- hold regular cadence meetings <– reminds me of 4DX
- focus cadence meetings on clarifying requirements and getting help more than status updates
- have periodic summits to build team cohesion
- invite folks from different teams and with different roles to the summits to get a diversity of perspectives
- identify and support “influencers” in the teams you need help from
One of the problems involved signing a contract before performing any engineering feasibility analysis and then having to turn the org on a dime to meet the deadline. 🦶🔫 I have experience being on the other side of abrupt changes and wondering what was going on, so it was validating to hear the context.
One thought on “Politically-charged projects”
Comments are closed.