– hitesh and friend were in mumbai at the time of the attacks
– started facebook: “ending terrorism with non-violence”
– started wondering bout how to empower all these groups
– talked w/ 20+ groups
– how can these groups help each other?
– how can they form one achievable goal?
– what is available now in terms of tech?
— digg-style lists
— obama’s campaign methods
— this is actually hitesh’s inspiration. They talked with Chris Hughes. the common goal was to get obama elected, but they used various different methods.
– “causes” app on facebook focuses on generating money and members, but Hitesh’s goal is different: how to opensource the social movement
– can you think of a person who emerged frim the noise w/o having a pre-existing political presence? (Christine)
— generating “cult of personality around a change-maker”
— do online tools accelerate or are they the genesis?